The history and heritage of Holly Springs Baptist Church started with a meeting on August 9, 1914, resulting in the formal formation of our church with the 42 members electing Rev. R.P. McCracken as their Pastor. For some time this group met in the old school house until a church was built and completed on April 11, 1917, on land that as donated by Mr. and Mrs. John W. Williams. Although there are limited records on the church’s construction, it is assumed the members did most of the work. The property was valued at $3,500.00.
The bell, which still had a beautiful ring as it called people together, was purchased in Atlanta, GA by Bob Shook for $75.00. It was shipped to Franklin by train and then to Holly Springs by wagon. This same bell bow stands mounted on our church grounds in memory of Jim Williamson, who was faithful in ringing the bell for many years.
1960 – 1980
In 1960, it was determined that more worship space was needed. So in September, the ground was broken for another church. With only $3,272.00 in the building fund, much faith was shown with the start of a $37,000.00 building. Much of the labor and materials were donated and involved church members. A time capsule was buried near the front of the building containing pictures, and news articles, etc. The first service was held in the new building on July 14, 1963. The church was debt free in 1969. However, in September 1970, the church membership voted to build a new parsonage, with the open house being held on May 20, 1973. By December 12, 1977, the church was once again debt free.
1990 – 2000
God continued to pour out His blessing of increased membership on Holly Springs. On November 15, 1992, the Facilities Committee Chairman, Grady Corbin, presented a recommendation for the building of a two-story education wing addition. The ground breaking ceremony was held on Sunday, March 17, 1993, with the construction project commencing on April 1, 1993. The stated price of the addition was $120,000.00. On Saturday, May 1, 1993, mostly volunteers prepared the foundation ground. The dedication of the new education wing was held on May 22, 1994. The project was debt free.
On September 20, 1998, the church congregation voted unanimously to purchase 9.09 acres of land, at a cost of $113,625.00, from Ina Bell Williams family for future expansions of HSBC and it’s ministry. The challenge of having only 60 days to raise the funds was met by the church and it’s members with a mortgage of only $61,877.00. On October 17, 1999, grading of the land was completed to create additional parking. On December 29, 1999, a “burn the mortgage” service was conducted.
2000 and Beyond
In March 2001, a building committee was elected and the “Touching Tomorrow Together” project officially began. Groundbreaking for the new building occurred on December 9, 2001. By October 6, 2002, the basement walls had been finished and the congregation celebrated Signature Sunday. A year later on October 19, 2003, the first service was held in a still unfinished sanctuary. Easter Sunday 2004 was our first service in the completed facility.
One hundred years after a small band of believers shared a dream of a spiritually vibrant church in the heart of the Holly Springs Community, a larger band of believers continues to seek the will of God for this community.
Click on our 100-Year Anniversary Logo to see and hear a video presentation of our history. It is our history that has put us in a position to make a difference for Christ now and beyond.
366 Holly Springs Church Road
Franklin, NC 28734
Mon-Thurs 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM